Sunday, November 27, 2016

Being a mother

It all started with two thin lines on the pregnancy test kit. I was happily looking forward to being a mother, though I had no clue on what I was signing up for. I enjoyed all the pampering and priviledges all through the 9 months of my pregnancy.  Then came the pain..

It was on a Sunday night that I felt mild contractions. My husband and I rushed to the hospital only to await 24 hours for the cervix to dilate. On Tuesday morning around 4 am, my doctor's pleasant smile slowly disappeared as she tested me again and again - "Your pelvic bones are not obliging , cervix has not dilated much and the baby has changed it's position. Looks like we will have to go for an emergency c-section" , she said.

Fifteen minutes later, I was in the operation theater surrounded by doctors and nurses. I was shivering. The contractions were at an all time high and the epidural had almost worn off by then , leaving me in unbearable pain. Thanks to the anesthetist , he quickly gave me a top up and the pain was bearable again. As my doctor was very slowly cutting open my abdomen, I felt a little pain and told the anesthetist about it. Then I thought I died.  In a few minutes, all I could see were white pillars and something like a maze.

Someone gently tapped my cheek and said "Wake up. You just had a boy baby!" . I was then taken to the normal ward where I could hear my husband, parents and in-laws talking. The nurses then brought a tiny baby wrapped in a big blanket. There he was - Rishi Vivek, son of Divya.

Was it love at first sight? Not at all . The love came much later, after a month of recovery. It was a sunny morning and I was breast feeding him when he stopped suckling, rolled his tiny eyes and looked up at me. I wished that time would freeze there. A few days later , came the smile - a beautiful, innocent and priceless smile all over his face.

I now know that I have signed up for the biggest project of my life. Parenting is a big responsibility. Yet, it brings along so many lovely memories, precious moments and unconditional love - all of which have given my life a new direction. It looks like I will have to be more courageous, happy and wise, because,  my son is going to roll his tiny eyes and look up at me in a lot many situations going forward. I am enjoying every bit of it.

7 comments:

Vidya madhusudan said...

Welcome to the world of parenting Divya. I wish you a nice journey forward .

Twinkle said...

Thanks Vidya akka

sv123 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sv123 said...

Superb, Divya! You've beautifully expressed every mom's feelings. Congratulations, once again, on the birth of your baby.

-Shobha Vishwanathan

Arunkumar said...

Nicely written Divya .. Congratulations once again and wish you have a wonderful journey throughout. Take care. :-)

Twinkle said...

Thanks Shoba akka :)

Twinkle said...

nandri dude